Monday, April 25, 2011

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (1971)

Though the phrase "If you suck my soul, I will lick your funky emotions" was not uttered on this record, never has it been more applicable. If P-Funk records are about a 1 for 1 transfer of altered and elevated consciousness from George Clinton to me, this one works best. It is also the grimiest, heaviest, trippiest, ecstatic, unrestrained album Clinton's minions ever released. They cover an incredible amount of ground in 7 tracks. "Can You Get to That" is a perfect pop song (way better than the song Sleigh Bells sampled it for). "Super Stupid" is crushing. The title track is the only 10 minute guitar solo I care to listen to. I want the album cover on the ceiling above my bed, like 8x8 feet.
 Lowndoad it, white boy!

-Andrew Black

No comments:

Post a Comment